Friday, August 29, 2008

Fav's - Konrad Crispino
























































The greatest skateboard story to every make it out of the neighborhood of Pigtown in Baltimore, Konrad has witnessed first hand the ebb and flow of skateboarding in his city for the better part of 2 decades. A community activist crucial in all the events surrounding the early Pigtown park and the current bowl in Carrol Park. THE graphic artist for iconic Fells Point skate shop Select. And a guy who came into the Sevenfold camp early on who helped to forge a major staple in our brand identity and has remained our primary artist. A major force with the nonprofit Skatepark of Baltimore trying to get a world class concrete park built in the city. And this year on top of all that he can add the proud title of Father to his impressive resume.

Here are your lucky 13 questions -


Favorite Seven Fold graphic you have done?
My favorite graphic was the mahjong tiles.

Favorite Pigtown locals from each of the different parks over the years?
There are only a couple. Kramer always skated fast and did big tricks. Stefan, Andrew and Danny are killing the Carroll park.

Favorite old board graphics?
Its a tie between Mark Gonzales or Natas Kaupus.

Favorite new artists?
Billy Mode, Ryan McGuiness and Andy Howell

Favorite Skatepark of Baltimore fundraiser?
I would have to say The Fight Club art opening was awesome. People from Washington to Baltimore and in between attended the event to eat grilled burgers, drink beer, skate the bowl ramp, and buy art. It was a great event.

Favorite thing about the Nazi ramp?
I brought one of my black friends to skate the ramp one day, and he noticed “keep america clean! Kill all spics, niggers, and jews” written the on ramp. I asked the owner about the message and he replied, “I am not a racist” yet he could not explain his friend’s actions. Funny thing is he did not try to mark out the message for weeks!

Favorite time drinking St. Ides?
I went to the club in DC with a friend. I drank a 40 and ate a bag of chips on the way up. As soon as I opened the door to get out of the car, I puked my brains out just as these two girls were walking by. I cleaned myself up and made the best of the night. I think I stopped drinking St. Ides after that event.

Favorite Andy Coons story?
I laugh everytime I tell this story. We were walking thru an ally in Pigtown. I was three feet ahead of him and he stops and bends down near a pile of trash bags. I asked him what he was doing and he replied,”I‘m going to pet this cat.” Andy was not wearing glasses nor contacts. I looked over and noticed that it was not a cat, it was a really big rat. I yelled, “STOP, THAT IS A RAT!” I’ve never seen Andy move so fast in my life!

Favorite times and heads at Select?
I met alot of cool people at Select. Shout out to Ed, Chris, Ernie, Fritz! Fells Point festival was always a riot. I will never forget the memory of a guy undressing himself and breakdancing in his leopard pattern thongs on a cardboard box in front of the store.

Favorite Lansdowne session?
Some of my favorite sessions at Landsowne were with good friends: Bruce, Eddie, Andy, Ed, and Chris.

Favorite thing about driving vs biking and biking vs driving?
I was in better shape when I didn’t have a car, but now I can drive to any concrete park.

Favorite Southern Memory?
back in the day, I learned nose bonks and nose grinds there.

Favorite Baltimore skate memory from each of the past 3 decades?
When I was in high school, I won a contest when I skated for Sports Elite. Later on, a design opportunity arose for my friend’s skate shop and board company. And then I also witnessed the only concrete skatepark being built in the city in pigtown no less! It’s not much, but its better than nothing.