Friday, August 8, 2008

Fav's - Matt House































When people don't talk much it's usually because they have nothing important to say, or because they have so many interesting things going on inside their heads that participating in casual banter is just a waste of time. The later most definitely holds true in Matt's case. Of all the amazing skateboarders we have had on the Seven fold team Matt worked the hardest to truly earn his spot on the team. Matt has probably worked the hardest off his board too, going to school and holding down a full time job as long as I have known him. The best 360 flip in the biz, a computer programmer, better than most professional photographers, and probably more talents than I can even think of here, plus the guy carries himself with such humility you would never know. For the better part of the past decade he has quietly been and continues to be the best at what he does.

Here are your lucky 13 questions -

Favorite thing about your former Mountain Dew sponsorship?
I got free stuff and I didn't do anything for them. They would send me survey's and stuff and I'd ignore it. It was only supposed to be 1 year of free stuff but somehow it went on for 2. Oh and I got $250 and an oversize check at the contest. Big deal when I was making no money.

Favorite part about living by yourself?
I can do what I want where and when I want. Don't have to worry about someone else and their mess. But I do have to deal with my own mess.

Favorite 360 flip?
The first name that popped in my head was Josh Kalis

Favorite thing about having a beard?
I get away with having it at work. That was the best when it was crazy long. I also think it intimidates some people from talking to me. I catch strangers looking at me all the time but no one ever says anything.

Favorite Billy Rosser story before and after the glory?
I can tell you about the first time I remember skating with Billy. I was 13 I think and it was at Broadneck High School. He hated me. He would tell me to do a trick and I would do it. Like a lipslide on this little flat bar. I didn't know what the trick was called at the time.For some reason he just didn't like me. A year or two after that we ended up skating all the time. One night we stole a bench from the Riva Giant, put it in a shopping cart, and pushed it over to the old Hechinger's. If anyone wondered how the plastic bench got there, that's how. I lost touch with Billy when he moved to NY so I don't have any recent stories. I have another that involves Billy telling me about him robotrippin. Also when I was in 9th grade, Billy was in 12th and I was in the same level math as him with Ms. Webb.

Favorite reason to quit riding for a shop?
How about the first time I had to. When they said the owner of my other sponsor was an asshole and made me choose one or the other. The choice was obvious.

Favorite trick you threw down the Glen Burnie 10?
Somehow I bs lipslid that rail. I remember one of the first times skating there I did an indy grab down them. I went there a few days a week for a long time. Even by myself sometimes just to reassure myself I could still lipslide the rail. I don't think many people know that. I skate alone a lot.

Favorite reason to go camping?
To get away from technology, which is my job. I tend to not thing about much when I'm camping. The simplicity of just having to make a campfire and hike is a huge relief from the corporate world and bills.

Favorite recent trips?
Two most recent ones. I hiked the West Coast Trail out on Vancouver Island a couple weeks ago. 50 miles along the coast. It was awesome. Then last weekend rain cancelled that Truxtun BBQ so I drove last minute out to Shenandoah and did a small hike up a mountain. On the way back I hiked up on 3 separate bears and in my car I saw 2 more. There's something about confronting a bear in the woods...

Favorite reason to get into photography?
It's my second artistic outlet. The first is skateboarding. Just like skateboarding, it makes you look at things differently. That and the digital technology is getting crazy. And I'm interested in all the physics involved with the optics. If anyone wants to check out photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmhouse/

Favorite reason to start riding for seven fold and to stay loyal for so long?
The people: It's like a family
The product: Best local, USA made stuff you can get

Favorite Annapolis skate memories from the past decade?
Haha the past decade is most of my skate career. Solid State contests/demos. Skating with Danny Gotimer and Kevin Madsen on that box we hid in the lower level of that garage off West Street. Hechinger's. Not technically Annapolis, but the Atonement days were pretty cool.

Favorite funny story about anyone of the current and former sevenfold roster?
Jake Mendelson's city hall experience that involved a new set of clothes from Select. I wasn't there but I can imagine his reaction. Just skating and then falling into a homeless man's puddle of piss. Haha.

** bonus Favorite Cape locals?
Nick and Matt Edwards, Luke Spicknall. I think they're the only ones that actually live in Cape.